[An old project I moved from my previous website, you can still find display modules using the PCD8544 controller, like this 5110 LCD Module]
This JAL library includes functions for controlling the Nokia 3310 LCD (PCD8544 controller) and also a 5×7 font.
Currently the table used only works on 16F, but should not take much to modify it to work with 18F PICs.
It only uses 5 IO pins, so a smaller PIC could be used. The font however takes up a lot of ROM (the example program’s code size is 1305). If the text print functions (and the font) is not used it is of course much smaller, but also much less useful ;-).
Download: [download id=”2″ format=”1″]
Sorry for the quality of these photos. I’m blaming my digital camera, but it is most likely due to a bad photographer.
On the right is my DIY Wisp628. The interface board between the LCD and the PIC consists of two caps (required for the LCD controller), a few 1K resistors in series with the datalines, and a LM317 to regulate the 5V down to 3V which the LCD requires.
Both normal and ‘inverted’ printing functions are available. The clips and tape holds all the pieces of the LCD together. In my haste to see how the connections are made I broke all the plastic holding pins.
For further reading about the display and microcontrollers, please visit the following sites:
- Electronic Projects <for you> – Various PIC based projects using a Nokida 3310 LCD with HI-TEC PICC and CCS source
- Microsyl Nokia LCD Library – An LCD Library for the AVR microcontroller written in C
- Berty’s Page – Information about lots of types of phone LCD’s including Nokia and Ericsson with sample PIC code for PIC16F84A in ASM
- serdisplib pcd8544 based displays – Connecting a PCD8544 based display to a PC Parallel port including connection diagrams
- Olimex LPH7366 Project – A Nokia LCD project for ARM processor with ASM source
- Nokida 3310 LCD – A Photo showing the dimensions of the display and a link to download the datasheet
- PCD8544; 48 x 84 pixels matrix LCD controller/driver datasheet – The LCD controller used in the Nokida 3310 Display
6 thoughts on “Nokia 3310 LCD Driver JAL PIC Library”
hi… i m doing my project on nokia 3310 lcd drivers.
i want to know , how to do font programming for pcd8544 lcd in c.
Can you please give here the complete procedure to use this library.
Does anyone know by chance what other phones may use the same display (driver IC) especially in US? Nokia is not terribly popular here …
I saw this 5 years ago 😀